Segway Tour Guest Rider Requirements
- Be age 12 and up over 100 lbs (45 kg) and under 250 lbs (113 kg). Safety 1st. No weight exceptions. We use a scale to check guest weights.
- Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Pregnant guests are not allowed on the tour due to fall risk.
- Not recommended for guests with some mobility or motor control issues. If you are concerned about mobility issues please call us to discuss. We want every rider to have a safe tour.
- Be able to easily and quickly step on and off the Segway without assistance, which requires physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs without any assistance or use of a handrail. You will be standing for 2 hours.
- This activity is not recommended for some guests age 70 and up with mobility issues.
- Helmet and safety vest are provided and required.
- No flip-flops, open-toe sandals, or high heels.
- Review and sign guest liability waiver.
- Respect other tour guests, road signs, pedestrians, bikes and cars for a safe enjoyable ride.
Advanced Golden Gate Park Segway Tour Rider Requirements
- In addition to the rider requirements listed above:
- All Guests on the advanced tour must have taken a 2+ hour Segway Tour on a newer version of the Segway i2 with lean steer. Our tours or a full 2+ hour tour in another city in the last 12 months will qualify you. A five minute test ride or tours the older version ( non moving handlebar design) of the Segway do not qualify. All members of your group must have the minimum experience.
- This is not a beginner tour or appropriate for guests with mobility issues.
- Ages 12 and up over 100 lbs and under 250 lbs.(45 to 113 kilos) Safety 1st. No weight exceptions. We use a scale to check guest weights.
- Weight, age and prior riding experience restrictions will be strictly enforced and refunds or rescheduling will not be offered.
- The advanced tour is more strenuous than our other San Francisco Tours. Do not book this tour if you don’t want to ride up and down hills or tire easily. You will be standing for 2 hours.
- If you say yes to all of the above book your advanced tour today. If not please try our other fun Golden Gate Park Segway Tour.
Segway Training Session and Route Info:
- Riding a Segway is similar to riding a bike-it’s intuitive but nobody is born knowing how to operate it. That’s why the tour time includes 45-50 minutes of rider training so you can get comfortable on the Segway before we head out on the route. During the busy Summer season training time may be slightly longer. Advanced tours guests have a short skills refresher vs. the full training session.
- The training session provides first-time riders with the skills, knowledge, and experience needed to safely operate the Segway. You’ll be guided through a simulated obstacle course of cones, turns, and an emergency stop to ensure a safe, enjoyable experience.
Segway Training includes:
- Hands-on training with an instructor, introductory video, test ride and skills review, rider courtesy instruction and review of the rules of the road.
Electric Scooter Tour Guest Rider Requirements
- Safety is very important to us: All Electric Scooter guests must be age 16 or older and weight no more than 290 lbs. (131 kilos). Under age 18 must tour with parent or guardian. (Age requirement is current CA state law)
- Scooter riding is not recommended for pregnant women. Unfortunately, pregnant guests will not be permitted to participate due to fall risk.
- NOTE: If you have never ridden a bike this may not be the activity for you. Riding an electric scooter requires side to side balance similar to riding a bike. IMPORTANT: Due to time limits we CANNOT provide riders with no previous bike riding experience with full training on riding and most importantly balancing on a scooter.
- The equipment recap and skills overview session provides riders with a quick overview of the scooter controls, knowledge, and experience needed to safely operate the Scooters. You will be guided through a low speed ride and an emergency stop to ensure a safe, enjoyable experience.
An electric scooter is not an ideal mode of touring for people with some mobility issues. All guests must be able to easily and quickly step on and off the scooter platform without any assistance, which requires physical abilities similar to climbing and descending stairs without assistance or use of a handrail.
- On some hills the scooter will require a bit of “kick” to maintain momentum. The electric motors are helpful on the hills but are not strong enough to propel heavier guests up some slopes. Be prepared to kick.
- If you book a tour and any of your guests do not meet the minimum age / weight criteria they will not be allowed on the tour and you will not be given a refund or rescheduled.
- Due to fall risk this activity is NOT recommended for some guests age 70 and up or guests with recent surgery, mobility/ motor control issues and other disabilities. Please call to discuss prior to booking.
- Be able to stand on the Scooter for a period of 1-2 hours.
- Wear the helmet and safety vest that is provided with the tour.
- Review and sign a liability waiver.
- Respect road signs, pedestrians, bikes and cars for a safe enjoyable ride.
- Complete the scooter rider recap.
Route and Safety:
- Our routes in San Francisco are mainly on designated bike lanes. In the Park we are also on both paved and unpaved trails. Bike lanes are adjacent to city streets. In some places the bike lane is the full width of the city street. We are in a busy big city and will be in some high traffic areas. San Francisco has more bike lanes per square mile than any other US City. Unlike Segway / Scooter tours in other US cities we cannot operate the tours on sidewalks. Each Segway /Scooter guest has a radio so the guide can advise you to upcoming changes in the route. Similar to a bike ride you will have to be aware of your surroundings and traffic.
- Any damages to the Segway / Scooter or property are the responsibility of the rider.